[CentOS] Dag repository...

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 7 20:39:25 UTC 2007

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 15:10 -0500, David A. Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>>	A bit of a new guy around these parts...
>>
>>	I've done a bit of looking, and haven't found any newbie-friendly
>>instructions on how to add the Dag repository to my CentOS4 box. Could
>>somebody help me out and point me in the right direction? Thanks...
>>

> Have searched on the wiki ? :
> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge

Some time ago, when I was using Debian/Woody, and Woody was creaking
with age, I added third-party repos for various things including newer
KDE, Mozilla....

It later occurred to me this was imprudent, and not just because I got a
system that became hard to maintain. What, I asked, was there to prevent
the maintainers of the KDE debs to insert a brummy kernel?

I asked, and the answer is that apt-get has the ability to control (it's
called pinning) what comes from where.

Now, I'm sure all the folk at rpmforge are straight-up good guys, but
should you really trust some relative unknown such as
debian at localhost.homelinux.org to not slip malware into his repo when he
promotes some whiz-bang new lotto-winning program?

How does yum control this?

--

Cheers
John