[CentOS] Fedora Legacy shutting down

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at 8-P.ca
Sun Jan 7 21:03:22 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Because it's probably the easiest transition to something supported.
> RHAS is more-or-less RHL 7.2, and in my ignorance I think it the likely
> source for most RHL 7.3 fixes over time. It's the first place I would
> look. If the transition is likely to work, it should do so with a
> minimum of fuss and bother - binaries are compatible, for example, and
> might not even require a reboot (except maybe to change kernels).

The tactic I used on 7.3 boxes was to simply use upgrades from CentOS
2.1.  Here and there it required manual tweaks, but more or less it
worked very nice.  All my 7.3 boxes used to run kernels, openssl, apache
and more or less everything else important from 2.1.  If your servers
followed "minimal install" route, this option might work nicely for you.
 Just subscribe to Red Hat's enterprise watch list, and install updated
packages as updates are released.  Needs some manual maintenance but at
least you don't need to go through full update process.