[CentOS] rpm scriptlet failed

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:29:16 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 1/8/07, Tony Schreiner <schreian at bc.edu> wrote:
>> I have a system (Centos 4.4 all packages uptodate) where almost every
>> rpm or yum operation fails with a message  like e.g.:
>>
>> error: %preun(a2ps-4.13b-41.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
>>
>> some times the error is on %post()
>> I can do the install /remove/update with --noscripts, but that
>> doesn't seem like a good idea.
>>
>> rpm --rebuilddb has not helped
>>
>> selinux is enabled but permissive.
>>
>> I've seen a few mentions of this on google, but found no solution.
>>
>> Anybody experienced this?
>
> Check the permissions on /tmp and /var/tmp
>
> Check to make sure you have disk space available, at least on /tmp
> or /var
>
> If it were just one package, you could look at the package scripts
> with rpm -q --scripts to see what exactly it's doing. Since you have
> more than one package doing it, I suspect permissions errors on /tmp
> or /var/tmp

/tmp and /var/tmp are both drwxrwxrwt
Neither one is more than 30% full, and plenty of inodes left too.

But since you mention /tmp
The rpm -Va command for me prints messages like

prelink: /tmp/#prelink#.iF7B1w: Recorded 6 dependencies, now seeing -1

on several different packages. I don't know if this is related or
even if normal.

Tony