[CentOS] Add new app to repo & db install question

Todd Reed treed at astate.edu
Tue Jan 9 05:03:28 UTC 2007

I've got two questions that I'm curious about.  One of for the
maintainers of CentOS and the others is for the community at large.

1)  At what point does a third party app get rolled into the production
repository (not sure if I said that correctly)?  Example: At what point
is it OK for the OS maintainers to adopt a newer version or PHP, MySQL,
Apache, etc.?

2)  I have read mixed opinions with how to install a database server.
Some articles say install it via YUM for compatibility purposes; while
others say install it from a tar ball or source to ensure other packages
do not try to upgrade and break the database.  What are your thoughts?
I plan on running a web server farm for a CMS/DB that needs to have a
five 9 uptime.