[CentOS] FIXed - Apache Built -how do add SSL

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at klxsystems.net
Thu Jan 11 01:45:09 UTC 2007

Will McDonald wrote:

> On 10/01/07, Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net> wrote:
>
>> Will McDonald wrote:

>> server

>> > It's generally recommended that you DO NOT compile *anything* from
>> > source for CentOS or any other RPM-based distro unless you have
>> > absolutely no other option and you know what you're doing.
>> >
>> > And under those circumstances you should at least consider rebuilding
>> > a custom RPM with whatever additional functionality you require from
>> > the SRPM so it's still packaged and runs far less risk of breaking the
>> > system.
>> >
>> > If you need Apache with SSL support the recommended method would be to
>> > install the 'httpd' and 'mod_ssl' packages and their dependencies with
>> > the command...
>> >
>> > # yum install httpd mod_ssl
>> >
>> > or
>> >

>> > There's lots more useful information on the CentOS site and in the
>> Wiki.
>> >

>> http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/sn-software-management-tools.html
>> > http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/sn-managing-packages.html
>> >
>> http://wiki.centos.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=yum&titlesearch=Titles
>>

>> > Will.
>>
>> Hi Will,
>>
>> I understand all of the centos-package-only rhetoric but am still
>> curious about a technical answer to my specific technical question.
>>
>> I appreciate all of the helpful pointers you've copied in from the site
>> -but in this case the question is more important than enforcing the
>> packaging paradigm -and I support the project's views on that and have
>> seen them many times.
>>
>> To wit, Community Enterprise OS is used outside of this context all of
>> the time -in this case for a highly scientific purpose related to
>> optimizing chip yields -with, (gasp), things compiled from source which
>> are (sigh of relief) eventually turned into nifty RPM files that can be
>> shared/modified/perfected by the community by the brilliant likes of the
>> centos package maintainers at their noble and highly revered discretion.
>>
>> "To do the science we must do the work".  So apologies for the "outside
>> the box" moment.  We are doing this work on 60+ 64-bit servers, all of
>> whom have apache from source because we had our own needs to answer to
>> and this OS was the closest match to the need to make a javagroups
>> application cluster, which it does very very well.
>>
>> If anyone knows, much appreciated, -you can just email me 'off-list'.  I
>> emailed the mod_sslusers list so hopefull that'll get a nice clear
>> answer.
>>
>> And just to be really clear, no negative attitude here or anything,
>> -just looking for a community assist on an important question.  thanx!
>

> OK, cool. The reason for the potted "Use RPMS" response was that the
> vast majority of people asking "how to do X/Y/Z" with the source tend
> not to understand what they're doing or why, they're just following a
> [...]

oh great, so if you ever run across a centos server and the owner says
"it was made from source, can you please fix it", -or are just plain
curious about what I did to fix this [how to uninstall apache 2.0.58
made from source], you just have to do two commands to remove the apache
compiled from source, like this:

rm -rf /usr/local/apache
rm /etc/rc.d/init/d/httpd

the first rm command recursively forcibly removes the apache dirs and
files under /usr/local/
the second rm comand will delete the symlink from
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl to /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd if it exists

you can then effectively revert to the centos method of

yum install httpd

or

yum groupinstall "Web Server"

and skip merrily along your webified path through the elysian fields of
networked information.

-karlski