[CentOS] Switching from Vesa driver to video adapter driver fails

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Jan 12 18:38:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 at 12:52pm, Edward Diener wrote

> The Vesa driver works fine with CentOS 4.4. I have an NVidia 6200 video
> adapter. I go to Applications | System Settings | Display | Hardware tab and
> find my video adapter in the list and set it. The dialog tells me I have to
> log out for it to take effect, so I duly do that. I then getting a message
> from a non-graphics screen saying that the attempt to switch to the video
> adapter failed. When I view why, amidst all the information given is the
> messages:
>
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> No screens found
>
> I am able to switch back to the Vesa driver through the non-graphics screen,
> and this brings me back to my graphics login and I am once again successfully
> in CentOS 4.4 using the Vesa driver.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what the messages above mean or how I can correct
> it so it can successfully load my video adapter specific settings ?

The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be very useful in debugging this
(read: necessary).  If you have somewhere you can put them up for download
(http or ftp), that'd be much preferable to mailing them to the list.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering