[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 on mini-itx

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 13:21:37 UTC 2007

> No, actually, it's a gcc bug. The C3 doesn't support the CMOV instruction,
> which is ok according to Intel documentation, and software should check
> whether this instruction is available. gcc implicitly expects every 686 to
> have this instruction.
> To add up to the confusion, on later VIA CPUs (those with a C5P core and
> later), you'll actually want to use 686 to initialize the SSE pipeline,
> which is necessary to make use of the xcrypt instructions (which will
> otherwise be invalid opcodes).

Hmm, that does explain it pretty well. I think I'll maintain my
original position though and blame via, simply because I had a run of
bad experiences with their chipsets early on in my computing career. I
don't care what you and your 'facts' say :-P

It sits better with my unfounded beliefs that via screwed up as
opposed to a gcc bug. :-)

George Orwell