[CentOS] slow system

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 13 21:18:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 00:08 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> It will make some difference on writes, but reads should only
> >> be done on one of the drives anyway.  I doubt if it makes a huge
> >> difference unless you have an application writing all the time.
> > ----
> > here's my problem - system was ok and mother board died. Purchased a new
> > motherboard and this is what I get...
> >
> > # hdparm -t /dev/md1
> >
> > /dev/md1:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.68 seconds =   1.09 MB/sec
> >
> > which is dreadfully slow
>
> That's worse than slow.  Something is broken.  Do the drives perform
> better if you test /dev/hda or /dev/hdb?
----
no
# hdparm -t /dev/hda6

/dev/hda6:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.63 seconds =   1.10 MB/sec
[root at spot root]# hdparm -t /dev/hdb6

/dev/hdb6:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.60 seconds =   1.11 MB/sec
----
>   What does dmesg say
> about them - does it mention UDMA(100) or better?  Are you using
> a new-style 80-wire cable?  It might be worth buying an IDE
> controller card if the on-board one won't do better than that.
----
dmesg states nothing about ATA 100...

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
hda: WDC WD800JB-00JJA0, ATA DISK drive
hdb: HDS728080PLAT20, ATA DISK drive

I'm going over there tomorrow and I will surely bring a new 80-wire
cable.

Thanks

Craig