[CentOS] Server Install Eth0 & Eth1 not working

Ed Morrison

ed at morrisonnetworks.com
Mon Jan 15 22:03:54 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone:

I installed CentOS 4.4 on a new Dell 2950 using the server cd.  No
errors during the installation and no errors on bootup when loading the
Eth0 or Eth1 interfaces.  I currently have iptables stopped and selinux
disabled.  The interfaces have been given a static ip (192.168.1.x).
the subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1.  I can not
ping any device on my network including the gateway.  I can ping
127.0.0.1 and the 192.168.1.x.  After trying to ping another device
ifconfig will show that on ifcfg-lo transmit and receive packets of 389
or some other number depending on how many ping packets were sent.
Ifcfg-th0 or Ifcfg-eth1 will not show any TX or RX packets.

The box was ordered to support RH from Dell.  The NIC is an embedded
dual port Broadcom NetXtreme II5708 GigabitEthernet NIC. I've replaced
all network cables and the ports to where they connect into the switch
and even a different switch and it still will not show me any love.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks

Ed