[CentOS] dhcpd errors

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at rogers.com
Tue Jan 16 19:27:38 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone,

I'm running a dhcp server on CentOS 4.4.  It's providing IPs and remote
booting for a number of thin clients.

I've recently had problems rebooting a few thin clients.  Here is the
error I've been seeing:

Jan 16 14:16:45 at01 dhcpd: DHCPRELEASE from 00:40:63:e5:71:4f specified
requested-address.
Jan 16 14:16:45 at01 dhcpd: DHCPRELEASE of 10.1.1.150 from
00:40:63:e5:71:4f via eth0 (not found)

Depending on the thin client, the MAC and the IP changes.  Otherwise,
the errors are all the same.

The effect on the thin client end is that it doesn't get an IP, and so
it doesn't boot.  The usual remedy is to unplug/plug-in the cat5 cable
at the thin client, or to move the thin client to another network drop.

This has me thinking there's a problem with the cat5 cabling (the office
is going through a major renovation).  But, I'm not 100% that is the
case.  It could be a problem with the dhcp server.

I don't have easy access to that office - it's remote, and I'm only out
there once every few months.  It's why I want to make sure it's not a
software problem first.

At the moment I have no clue what's going on.  My searching with google
hasn't turned up anything useful.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu