[CentOS] Centos 4.4 install on ASUS A8V-VM does not find SATAdrives

Don Levey centos at the-leveys.us
Wed Jan 17 14:44:33 UTC 2007

Sadly, this did not work.  I set the jumpers on the drives to SATA 1 (1.5GB)
but the installation routine did exactly the same thing as before (did not
automatically load the south bridge SATA controller, I selected via_sata
manually, then when it came time to partition I was told there were no
drives in the system).  I did notice in the initial messages that flash by
during the CD init that it said "unknown via southbridge".  The specs say
this is a VIA8251; I'm assuming that if I could get ahold of an install DVD
with the appropriate kernel module included that this would be easier?  I
didn't want to drop another $90 (especially for a new A8N-VM with
capabilities I don't need for a small server) but it's looking more and more
like I need to do it.
  -Don