[CentOS] Why slapd dying?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Thu Jan 18 01:02:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:46:34AM +0000, Jun Salen enlightened us:
> I am wondering why slapd in my CentOS 4.4s erver was
> unable to run.  I already configure ldap to start at
> boot and when I issue command /sbin/service ldap start
> it is sucessfully started but again when I check the
> status etheir thru service or by netstat, it was
> stopped and not exist respectively. Is anybody
> encountered this. If you need some more info
> just let me know. Thanks.

I ran into this after restoring the ldap database files from a backup
(/var/lib/ldap). You can create /etc/sysconfig/ldap and in it put something
like:

SLAPD_OPTIONS="-d XXX"

and restart ldap. Man the slapd manpage for all the options. If it is a
corrupted database, you might look at the various db_* commands, such as
db_recover. Googling for any error messages you get will help, too.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics