[CentOS] Best Board Your Ever Ran CentOS On?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 03:45:27 UTC 2007

> Machines use tiny little lam-o 2.5" laptop drives.
No denying this one, but you can boot from a san, eliminating the
in-blade drive entirely.
>Celeron processors.
They've since done away with these in the 21's. They're solid processors now.
> Non-individual Gb ethernet connection (*choke*).  Ridiculous Gb switching
> module that you can install into the bladecenter.

This one is a toss up. It depends on what module you get for them. IBM
seems to push the HS21's and accompanying chassis with the nortel
layer 2/3 switching module, however there are others you can get.
We've ordered a patch-panel copper passthru module so that we can put
our cisco 4506 to good use. Basically each blade gets their own lines
to our patch panel, and from there to our switch.

> So-so tech support for 'enterprise class' hardware.
This one surprises me. I guess it might depend on who your rep is and
what your organization is. we've got 24x7 4hour  support with them,
and they've never taken longer than 1.5 hours to show up. The tech
(when we've requested more than just a replacement part) has always
been reasonably intelligent, and his knuckles don't drag on the floor
at all. I was quite impressed.

George Orwell