[CentOS] Machine all of a suddens freezes. Any suggestions?

Theo Band

theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
Thu Jan 18 17:58:41 UTC 2007

This is a A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core 4400+ Processor. It freezes and cannot be accessed from the
network. Keyboard/mouse/display, everything just stuck. It had an uptime
of 17 days after I re-connected all cables and boards after a similar crash.

My feeling is, this must be a hardware related problem. I inspected the
logs under /var/log, but nothing.

What would be the best approach to debug this problem? What can be the
most likely cause? Or should I just accept it (it's a single user
desktop machine). The machine has FC4 installed. Is there a chance that
it becomes more stable with Centos (as said, I actually  don't suspect
the OS). For new machines I started installing Centos (and I'm happy
with it, especially the fact that my EDA software vendors support it well).
I monitor the machine with Zabbix, but no weird things there. Just
before the freeze the machine had a processor load of 1 running a user
simulation.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Theo