[CentOS] Best Board Your Ever Ran CentOS On?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jan 19 03:42:59 UTC 2007

> IBM has a good reputation on Power and zSeries (not good for
> CPU-intensive work, but disk I/O is in gigabytes/sec).
The Power 4+ CPUs are quite powerful.

A 4-way IBM pSeries 1.9Ghz outperformed a HP 4 way Opteron 2.4Ghz
running a specific computationally intense Oracle pl/sql workload we
benchmarked at work.  The IBM was running AIX 5.3L, the Opteron RHEL 3
x86_64, both machines had at least 8GB ram (and weren't at all ram
constrained).   (RHEL 4 on the same Opteron configuration was
slower!).    Both systems were using 3 seperate 4 spindle raid10 on
fiberchannel for the oracle tablespaces, the disk IO rates was quite
high, almost exclusively writes, and not even close to a constraining
factor.