[CentOS] Cluster with two i386 pcs!

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jan 19 17:10:49 UTC 2007

> John, thanks for your answer, I think I'm looking for a hihg performance
> cluster with two pcs... Apache, Mailscanner/Postfix, mysqld and squid
> are going to run in this cluster..

Each of those apps has its own requirements for a shared workload
cluster.   frankly, I have no idea how a squid cluster could or would work.

webservers like apache are most frequently clustered by being put behind
a load balancing router such as BigIP from F5.  this is $$$$$$.

mysql has its own clustering support, I'm not very familiar with it.
typically, these require shared storage.

not sure why you'd need to cluster a mail server other than high
availability, this typically requires shared storage for the spool files
and such.

I have no idea how you'd loadbalance cluster a squid cacheing proxy
between two systems with discrete SATA drives.  maybe if the squid cache
was stored on a NFS server?

frankly, with that workload, and the hardware resources you described,
you'd probably get the best performance by balancing the applications
across the two systems.  whichever app requires the most resource, put
it on one, put the rest on the other.   if the 'other' is overloaded,
move another task to the first.