[CentOS] core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Fri Jan 19 17:15:34 UTC 2007

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 1/19/07, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, it doesn't work and they refuse to patch the kernel in CentOS 4 to
>> make it work; so it looks like everyone will be waiting until march.
>
> Just to clarify this statement: Centos reproduces RHEL functionality.
> This modification is not being reflected upstream at this time (though
> it may hit in rhel4 update 5 or later). Because upstream is not making
> the change, and the project goal is to be 100% compatible with
> upstream, CentOS will not make a modification that deviates from the
> upstream provider in such a fashion.
And again, thank you to the CentOS team for this exact tenet! I think we
all know that RedHat is very conservative with their OS, delivering
consistently robust and well tested products. Yes, it can sometimes be
frustrating to not have the latest cutting edge tech, but those who live
on the cutting edge sometimes bleed. I don't like bleeding.

Best,
John Hinton