[CentOS] wireless card for CentOS

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 20 19:38:13 UTC 2007

Charles Whitby wrote:
> Proxim Orininoco Gold (Model 8470-FC) worked for me.

Old WaveLan/Orinicco Silver (prism2 chipset) work.

I suspect no current 11g cards work.

Some prism54 cards work with standard 2.6 kernels, but it is eceedling
difficult to tell before you buy whether you have a supported chipset;
vendors tend to change chipset without changing more than the board
revision number, and later prism54 cards do not work.

Ones I know that work have a separate firmware file on the CD.

> On 1/19/07, Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'll need to buy a new wireless card.  I need a recommendation for
>> PCMCIA wireless card that simply works with CentOS out of the box.
>>
>> By "works out of the box", I mean that it doesn't need ndis wrapper
>> (or whatever it is called), kernel hacks, or whatever.

If you are prepared to despoil your CentOS box with a Fedora kernel,
your prospects are better.

If you decide you are prepared to add a native driver, then most
Atheros-based cards should work, with the madwifi driver which "just
builds." The main problem from some vendors' POV is that some of the
madwifi driver in binary-only. US Law.

--

Cheers
John