[CentOS] wireless card for CentOS

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 20 19:45:46 UTC 2007

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Quoting Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool.com>:
>
>> there are a lot of resources out there regarding general linux
>> compatibility with wireless cards, however alot of outdated.     You can
>> still find some very useful information.   The problem ends up being
>> using any sort of encryption other than WEP with newer cards that
>> support WPA, WPA2, etc...   I have successfully used a Zyxel G-102v2
>> 802.11g card with different distros including Centos 4.x on an
>> unencrypted network or with WEP, but when I try to get WPA working I run
>> into a wall because the windows drivers don't work with ndiswrapper.
>
> That's exactly why I'm asking for recommendations.  I'll need to buy the
> thing, stick it in laptop, and it has to work right away.  WAP would be
> high on the list of features.  However WEP-only might be usable too.  If
> it doesn't work out of the box, I won't be able to browse the net to
> search for solution (or additional software).  Because my wireless card
> doesn't work.  By the time I'll be able to connect laptop to some wire,
> I won't really need the card anymore (well, I'll need it someday in the
> future again, but what I really need it for is this next trip I'll be
> making).
>
> If there's nothing like this for CentOS, Fedora Core is an option too.

OpenSUSE 10.0?
OpenSUSE 10.2?
These support the Atheros-based card ootb in my Acer Aspire.

Your prospects are far better with FC{5,6} than with CentOS: in your
position I'd probably not consider CentOS for very long.

Note: FC6 is a complete basket case on my Del Optiplex GX 270 desktop.
It does not handle the Intel graphics at all well. I did have RHEL5
beta, SLES10 and SUSE10 all running on it without great difficulty, but
X was a challenge for RHEL5.

--

Cheers
John