[CentOS] CentOS4 and older megaraid - SOLVED

David Booth md at goulburn.net.au
Sun Jan 21 03:15:59 UTC 2007

Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:41PM -0600, Johnny Hughes enlightened us:
>>> Craig White had also written
>>>
>>> "You could probably repeat for smp kernel if you have multiple processors"
>>>
>>> I will need to do that but I don't know what you mean - do I need driver
>>> disks for that too?
>>>
>> You should not need driver disks for install for an smp kernel.
>>
>> The installer uses the regular kernel and not an smp kernel.
>
> Well, you need them at install time in the sense that if you want the system
> to boot to the SMP kernel when your done installing, it has to be there.
>
> Matt

Thanks, but this doesn't help.
I'm installing on an HP with dual processors.
(And a dual processor Acer after that.)

Craig mentions "repeat for smp kernel" in the context of compiling the
megaraid driver first with kernel-devel-xx.i586 and then again with
kernel-devel-xx.686 and loading them at install time in a special sequence.

Is there something similar that needs to be done with
kernel-smp-devel-xx.i586/686? Compile what? Load when?

Suppose I can get the megaraid scsi driver working and Centos4.4
installed and running: can I ignore the smp stuff and sort it out later?