[CentOS] error message RFE

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 22 22:07:56 UTC 2007

Ted Miller wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Ted Miller wrote:

>>                                                                    1234
>>
>>> It is a real error, which I will track down the source of.  Meanwhile
>>> it is the 4th character from the end of the message that bugs me.
>>
>> The 'z'? I don't see an error in that message.
>
> I was thinking it should be "side", but I guess the "side" information
> is in the "head" parameter.  So does the "size" indicate whether it is

"head" is correct, a floppy is a one-platter disk; to the software it's
like every other disk except in number of platters and usable size (in
some disks, maybe only older ones, the top and/or bottom sides are not
used for data)

> 720K or 1.4M?  If so, what do the numbers mean, as I have had errors
> where I thought the kernel was confused as to what it thought was in the
> drive after a disk swap.

There are other possible sizes; I think the original PC had 90k
floppies. Let me see 8 sectors (IBM didn't realise the drives and media
could do nine), 256b sectors (I think) 40 tracks.

Oh, there were also single-density 8" floppies, but not on peecees, at
least as standard equipment.

--

Cheers
John