[CentOS] Ultra simple mail server config?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 23 22:07:37 UTC 2007

Brent wrote:
> Plain FUD Qmailrocks works just fine. Only a complete Newbie can't install

Hmm, I note that while Qmailrocks points to the source of qmail, the
qmail pages recommends lifewithqmail but does not mention qmailrocks.

> it.  The instructions are the easiest I ever seen for a  complete mail
> server. You need to have the right libaries for it to work but really that
> is basic stuff.
>
> I've installed about tons of installs of it and never had a problem.

You may never have perceived a problem, but that's not the same as not
having a problem.

I note that qmail is not free software as defined by the FSF. I cannot
even ungzip the tarball and bzip2 it without Dan (the author's approval)
so as to save space when I distribute it. See
http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html

If you don't want to build from source you should be using a different
package.

I have heard Bad Thing in the past about qmail, so googled for "the
problem with qmail." Some hits, not a lot. This is rather old, and the
author's fond of postfix (as am I) (but he was expert in qmail):
It speaks of licence, the author's attitude, problemss working with
other software such as smartlist.

This is more recent:
 > The problem with qmail is that you need either a big patchset or
 > a once patched setup and reuse that. Plus qmail really has
 > some not-so-nice bugs.
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog@lists.swinog.ch/msg01601.html

Oh, shhh sugar! This was written for RHL 6.x. I says,
"PROCESS

1. download qmail 1.03 (or latest - but it hasn't changed in a *long*
time):"
http://jason.mindsocket.com.au/articles/qmail/setup-README

He's right. 1.03 is the latest listed at http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html
and http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html
Version 1.0, the first general release, was announced on February, 20,
1997. The current version, 1.03, was released on June, 15, 1998.
http://www.lifewithqmail.com/lwq.html#history

It looks to me that qmail is high-maintenance; www.qmail.org is one site
that attempts to make it usable, but if DJB ever releases a newer
version then what to do with all those patches?

It's like mixing and matching kernel patches.

I don't see any patches to fix security problems, but I am not prepared
to believe there are no security problems. There are patches to fix
standards non-compliance (eg RFC 1870 and RFC 2821) and nobody can
distribute source with them preapplied. Instead, they must distribute
patch alone or source-plus-patch.