[CentOS] How do I identify my hardware?

Mark Hull-Richter

mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Wed Jan 24 21:27:43 UTC 2007

I'm a little new to CentOS and very rusty on Linux in general (it's been
7 years since I worked on a Linux kernel), so this may seem like a dumb
question.

I have two issues with my machine - sound and video.  My sound card is
not recognized at all (I think it's on the mobo, but I'm not sure how to
identify it), and I have an ATI dual video card with two screens, but
both show the same output, so I'm guessing that my CentOS does not know
what it is, either (they show up as unidentified in the config file).

I'm running 2.6.9-42.0.3ELsmp and can't upgrade to a newer kernel for
the time being.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.