[CentOS] OOT: Advice on failover rsync setup

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Wed Jan 24 21:41:05 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Mark Schoonover wrote:
>> Benjamin Smith wrote:

>>> Well, I was going to suggest using RAID1 with one of the partitions
>>> being a network block device, but this looks even better!
>>>
>>> Rsync is great for period backups (not more than once per day or so)
>>
>> I run rsync every hour on multi-terrabyte systems with no problems.
>> The NASes do have a private GB network to push the data through, so
>> the user network doesn't see the network traffic generated by rsync.
>> I can have anywhere from just a couple hundred megs, to 100 gigs of
>> data change inside of an hour.
>
> OTOH I found running rsync daily over the Internet to backup a Linux
> box impractical; it used heaps of RAM (and swap) and ran for hours.
> Fortunately, its excessive use of swap (several times real RAM) didn't
> lead to thrashing.

This seems rather odd performance for rsync. As I type this, I'm sending
800GB to a new server, and rsync is using 28MB of RAM. I don't think network
speed is an issue with how much RAM/SWAP is getting used by rsync. Could you
post your rsync command, I'm curious to what your running. What version of
rsync are you using??

> Now, I run a hand-crafted script that makes a compressed ISO
> (mkzftree) and I rsync that. I'm maintaining a backup filesystem of
> about 8 Mbytes remotely now; the rsync runs for a little over two
> hours daily.

That's what I love about *NIX, more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical - California, Nevada and Arizona
V-> 858.450.4040 F-> 714.685.3909 C-> 858.472.3816
* software development * systems administration * networking * security *