[CentOS] Re: nscd crashes

Erick Perez

eaperezh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 06:20:05 UTC 2007

I add to the list that NSCD in Centos 4.4 fully updated crashes every
hour or so (this is a 5000+ email per hour mailserver with rbls,
antispam and the whole enchilada)

The only entry i get is :
nscd: 2472 invalid persistent database file "/var/db/nscd/hosts": file
size does not match

So i disabled nscd. Problem fixed, no more horrible crashes from
sendmail+rbl lists. I wont even bother to dig deeper, I cant do it in
my production server.

When a new release of nscd arrives or if maybe i can test it in a
non-heavyloaded mailserver, then i'll try it again....

nscd: you served well my friend (in 2.4 kernels)...but not anymore. R.I.P.

On 10/9/06, Josh Kelley <joshkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/8/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > Josh Kelley wrote:
> > > I've had problems with nscd crashing every few days on my CentOS 4
> > > mail server for a while now.  The problems started maybe around CentOS
> > > 4.2, although I don't remember for sure.  My debugging efforts let me
> > > to disable nscd's persistent cache, and that seemed to work for a
> > > while, but since upgrading to CentOS 4.4, the crashes have started
> > > again.
> > > Has anyone seen similar problems with nscd?
> >
> > Yup, another me-too.  Disabling nscd was the only reliable
> > workaround/fix.  :(
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Any suggestions/experience with the system unreliability I'd seen
> after nscd crashed?  Or does that improve if nscd is disabled entirely
> (instead of enabled but crashed, leaving a socket behind)?
>
> Josh Kelley

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780