[CentOS] Drive Failing

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 26 21:38:37 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> Mike Kercher wrote:
>
>> I got an email from smartd yesterday with the following error:
>>
>> SMART Health Status: SERVO IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH
>> [asc=5d,ascq=43]
>>
>> I understand this means the drive is probably going to fail.  This
>> device is /dev/sda and is part of /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>>
>> Is it possible to replace the single failing drive and if so, what would
>> be the steps so that data isn't lost.
>>

> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html
>
> /dev/sda, is that your boot device?   that will greatly complicate
> things...  and, your swap is probably not under LVM, /boot certainly
> isn't so there's moer on that drive than just part of VolGroup00
>
> I think I'd opt for plan B...  install an identical new drive on another
> SCSI unit, boot a standalone live CD, and DD image the whole raw
> physical drive /dev/sda, then swap this new drive to SCSI unit 0 and
> remove the failed one.

I discovered recently that getting exactly the same size (I am using
ATA) can be difficult, and two drives "the same size" can differ by a
few sectors.

I'm sure bigger is okay, smaller is not (but you might be able to fiddle
with /boot and/or dispense with the swap partition. I prefer swap files
anyway))

--

Cheers
John