[CentOS] Problems with building a complete kernel

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 18:22:21 UTC 2007

> If they're not listed in the kernel spec, then the kernel spec's broken.

Not necessarily. Installing the kernel doesn't require you to have the
build dependencies installed or else you'd need gcc, some parts of qt,
and some portions of Xorg just to install the kernel, when they're
only really required to build or run make xconfig. Installing the
src.rpm doesn't require the build deps to be installed either, and
won't allow for installation if the build is being done in a sane
manner as an unprivileged user. Now if they're not listed as a
buildrequires, then the spec would be broken. For the tutorial, I'd
rather have all deps required to build installed at the outset, as
people tend to not read error messages (yes, I'm a bit jaded and
cynical at times).

So you can either spell out the dozen+ build dependencies, or you can
install the package that pulls them all in. Like I said before, I took
the shortcut :-P

George Orwell