[CentOS] dumb sendmail question -- how to get outbound messages to use "example.com" instead of hostname?

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Mon Jul 2 21:14:46 UTC 2007

Around 09:59pm on Monday, July 02, 2007 (UK time), Jeff Potter scrawled:

> Yup -- that's what I'm trying to get sendmail to use, but it's
> insisting on using the internal hostname, inclusive of the machine
> name. I.e., "betsy.example.com" is the actual hostname, at 10.x.x.x;
> all the 10.x.x.x machines have custom /etc/hosts that define
> betsy.example.com, etc., with their 10.x.x.x IPs. When it sends email
> to the outside world, I need to to send as "example.com", dropping
> the "betsy" part.

Are you talking about what appears on the "from" header line.  Id so,
these instuctions:
http://www.stevesearle.com/tech/centos5.0.svr.html#sendmail explain how
I set it up to work for me, showing mail as comming from
... at stevesarle.com, where the IP address that stevesearle.com resolves
to is really a box hosted by my ISP, not on my local network.

Can you check that you have sendmail-cf installed (yum list installed
sendmail-cf) as I think that may be your problem.

Steve

--

 Play Champions - my free football predictions game at:
 	http://www.stevesearle.com/champs/about.html

 22:10:55 up 7 days,  1:50,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.07