[CentOS] LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jul 6 03:26:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 06:42:54PM -0400, Jean Figarella alleged:
> Here is the thing. All workstations in the network have the /etc/profile
> modified and set up to call a profile script in the network that sets up
> variables that we need here. Here $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other variables
> get set, fixed, or modified to support our development process. The
> weird thing is that while in a TTY the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is fine and
> retains its value. But if I log in to the gui (KDE, GNOME) then the
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is blank. I have greped the entire disk I can't find
> where is the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is being overwritten, if that is what is
> happening.
>
> Does anyone knows what's going on here?

Assuming gnome-terminal, I bet if you check "Run command as login shell"
in Edit->Profiles->Edit->Title and Command, you'll get what you want.

Btw, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is generally not what you want.  Unless you are
quite careful, it can break the runtime execution of *all* commands.  It
is only useful to temporarily override the default path, or overcome the
shortcomings of a pre-built proprietary binary.  If you use LD_RUN_PATH
instead, the path will be added to the binary's runtime path and will
execute correctly without any env vars.

Why LD_LIBRARY_PATH is bad:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/ldpath.html

University of Southern California

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0