[CentOS] Virtualization question

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sat Jul 7 18:34:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 08:55 -0400, William Warren wrote:
> I want to use Centos5 as my host os and virtualize a windows server on
> it.  My question is..do i have to be at the machine to setup the windows
> server inside the virtual server since windows 2k3 is gui based or can i
> do this remotely somehow?
I assume you're talking about Xen virtualization ? (someone already
pointed you to vmware server as well). It's not necessary to be on the
console to install a windows DomU in Xen ... you can use ssh with X
forwarding to launch virt-manager and grab the VirtualFrameBuffer
console (either from virt-manager or directly with vnc).
Don't forget to consult the wiki page about windows on Xen :
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingHVMDomU
BTW : don't forget also that, at this time, windows performances on xen
are *really* bad in comparison with the same windows on vmware server
(no windows drivers available for xen guests , but vmware service tools,
aka drivers, available for Vmware guests.)
And you need also a processor with VT (Intel) or V-Pacifica (AMD) to
support full-virtualization on Xen ....
--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>
Solution ?