[CentOS] Sparc

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Jul 9 14:57:32 UTC 2007

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Adam Breaux <breauxaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/7/07, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
>> > By chance, has there been any progress on a 5.0 version for an Ultra
>> > Sparc?
>> Debian 4 supports sparc well, has done so for a long time...biggest
>> problem is having to netboot the installer, since most sparc boxes
>> won't get past the initial loader stages booting the kernel, it's some
>> known SILO issue thats been going on for a while. Most distro's seems
>> to falter after an initial release on sparc...and quickly drop the
>> platform.
>
> aurora sparc linux seems to be still actively developed.  I used it a
> few years ago and it wasn't bad at all.

Every time I feel like I have the time/energy to install Linux on an old
Sparc box, I consider how much energy they use and how (relative to a
modern PC) slow they now seem.  Pretty amazing when you consider that
the E450 that you'd now use to hold down paper once cost more than a
luxury car.  :)

Best,