[CentOS] Re: kernels with cifs backport (Was: where is smbmount on centOS 5)

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:46:25 UTC 2007

On 7/8/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the updated info.
>
> Steve French (samba team) made available a newer cifs version (1.48)
> backported to old kernels:
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2007-April/001898.html
>
> Using this cifs code Jeff Layton (RH) has built some test kernels
> after making appropriate adjustment for RHEL:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jlayton/

FYI.
A list of cifs bugs fixed in the above version (going from 1.45 to 1.48):

+Verison 1.48
+------------
+Fix mtime bouncing around from local idea of last write times to remote time.
+Fix hang (in i_size_read) when simultaneous size update of same remote file
+on smp system corrupts sequence number. Do not reread unnecessarily
partial page
+(which we are about to overwrite anyway) when writing out file opened rw.
+When DOS attribute of file on non-Unix server's file changes on the server side
+from read-only back to read-write, reflect this change in default file mode
+(we had been leaving a file's mode read-only until the inode were reloaded).
+Allow setting of attribute back to ATTR_NORMAL (removing readonly dos attribute
+when archive dos attribute not set and we are changing mode back to writeable
+on server which does not support the Unix Extensions).
+
+Version 1.47
+------------
+Fix oops in list_del during mount caused by unaligned string.
+Fix file corruption which could occur on some large file
+copies caused by writepages page i/o completion bug.
+Seek to SEEK_END forces check for update of file size for non-cached
+files.
+
+Version 1.46
+Support deep tree mounts.  Better support OS/2, Win9x (DOS) time stamps.
+Allow null user to be specified on mount ("username="). Do not return
+EINVAL on readdir when filldir fails due to overwritten blocksize
+(fixes FC problem).  Return error in rename 2nd attempt retry (ie report
+if rename by handle also fails, after rename by path fails, we were
+not reporting whether the retry worked or not). Fix NTLMv2 to
+work to Windows servers (mount with option "sec=ntlmv2").