[CentOS] 4 or 5 for VMware server?

Ed Rubright - mail lists mail-lists at rubright.net
Wed Jul 11 14:35:48 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Tronn Wærdahl <tronnw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My experisense is that some x.0 release are a bit unmature, and its
>> its wise to wait for a x.1 or x.2 release.
>> I use 4.4 with vmware-server, and it run perfectly, and i dont need
>> any gui. So I'll wait for a  x.2 or x.3 release
>>

> I am running VMWare Server 1.0.4 on a CentOS 5.0 box with no problems
> at all.  In fact, I have been using my Windows guest on VMWS 1.0.4 to
> create DVDs from some AVIs I downloaded from the web.  Maybe I've just
> become more comfortable with CentOS over the last few months, but I
> thik this is a really nice, solid product, and VMWS works fine with
> it.
>
> mhr

I am also in the process of setting up a CentOS 5 box to run VMware server.

I was looking around on the web and found some posts(can't remember
where) regarding VMware Server running on Linux and problems with
"pdflush".  Essentially the issue was there were claims that in this
configuration "pdflush" starts pegging the systems CPU and makes the
performance pretty miserable.

Anyone seen this or does this sound familiar?

Thanks in advance,
Ed