[CentOS] Gnome Terminal and xterm problems

Matt Shields

mattboston at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:46:00 UTC 2007

I've noticed this in CentOS 4 & 5 and Fedora 5 & 6.  If I'm in Gnome
desktop and using any of the terminal programs and I ssh into any
server, the connection just hangs.  Not drops, it just hangs and
doesn't recover.

These servers are all over the country on different ISPs in Tier1
datacenters.  Some are in our office, so they are on the local lan.
We have a mix of RHEL 3, 4 & 5 and CentOS 4 & 5 on the servers.  If
I'm using a windows computer with putty or SecureCRT this never
happens, it only happens when I'm using any of our linux desktops or
laptops.  It doesn't matter if I'm in the office or at home (on
comcast) or over at a friend's house (verizon dsl).  This problem has
been going on for at least two years and I'm finally fed up to the
point where I might switch back to windows since 99% of my job is
working while ssh'ed into servers.

Anyone had similar problems?

-matt