[CentOS] Re: Gnome Terminal and xterm problems

Matt Shields mattboston at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 14:53:39 UTC 2007

time of day doesn't matter.  sometimes I can maintain a connection all
day (very rare), but other times it hangs quite a few times a day.
Most of the time it usually hangs when a screen full of data is being
requested like 'ps -auxwww' or 'cat file', but other times it hangs
when I'm typing on the command line.

all machines are hard wired (no wifi).  I've replace all CAT6 cables
at least twice.  It doesn't seem to disconnect because if I open a new
terminal and ssh again I can see the connection on the server, but on
my side it doesn't respond again.

there's no real common piece that i've been able to track down.  like
I said this has been going on for a few years.  It happens on numerous
type of hardware (dell laptops and desktops, hp desktops), various
flavors of RedHat based linux.  Various servers (dell, hp, whitebox),
various internet connections.

-matt