[CentOS] Newbie ADSL configuration, ppp0 can't activate & config not found

Dan Halbert halbert at everyzing.com
Sat Jul 14 02:11:59 UTC 2007

> I am frustrated. This is a dual boot box, Win XP (Spanish) and CentOS 4.4.
> The phone company man came today and installed ADSL to the WinXP side and
> that works fine. I can't get the box online, while in CentOS 4.4. The ADSL
> router has a fixed IP address (192.168.1.1) and he configured it to get
> the IP from the ISP via DHCP and get the DNS servers automatically. When I
> try that on CentOS (which is what I use 99% of the time), it doesn't
> connect. In the Network Configuration for eth0, things seem OK, but the
> configuration for xDSL, ppp0, probably needs something I do not have in it
> and it won't activate.

If you have a router, then the ADSL connection you have is handled by
the router, and is invisible to you, on the LAN side of the router. The
router could be connecting to the WAN via a piece of wet string, as far
as you care. So you should just have eth0 do DHCP and leave it connected
to the router. You'll get an address like 192.168.1.2 from the router.
You don't need ppp0 at all; to Centos the router appears like a LAN that
routes to the Internet.

In Windows, do "ipconfig" in a Command window, and you'll see what I
mean. You should see something similar with ifconfig in Centos.