[CentOS] Newbie ADSL configuration, ppp0 can't activate &

Sat Jul 14 14:34:01 UTC 2007

>Message: 23
>Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:11:59 -0400
>From: Dan Halbert <halbert at everyzing.com>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Newbie ADSL configuration, ppp0 can't activate &
>        config        not found
>To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>

<snip>

If you have a router, then the ADSL connection you have is handled by
the router, and is invisible to you, on the LAN side of the router. The
router could be connecting to the WAN via a piece of wet string, as far
as you care. So you should just have eth0 do DHCP and leave it connected
to the router. You'll get an address like 192.168.1.2 from the router.
You don't need ppp0 at all; to Centos the router appears like a LAN that
routes to the Internet.

In Windows, do "ipconfig" in a Command window, and you'll see what I
mean. You should see something similar with ifconfig in Centos.

Dan: Thank you for replying! I will try what you suggested, ASAP. Yesterday
was Friday the 13th.... I need to get this working, before I try to get my
Firewall/Router working!  Lanny