[CentOS] Postfix Question

ethericalzen at gmail.com ethericalzen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 11:01:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:15:51 +0200
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> ethericalzen at gmail.com schrieb:
> > I've googled around and although I get a lot of hits about
> > postfix smarthost authentication with ssl, I can not find out
> > how to actually accomplish the task.
> >
> > I've read through smatterings of postings from Neophasis and the
> > like searching for just the syntax and what file (I assume it's
> > main.cf) I should be using; however, any smtpd_ lines I have
> > tried result in postfix hanging and refusing to deliver mail.
>
> smtpd_* is the wrong configuration option. It applies to Postfix
> acting as server, while you want to configure Postfix being the
> client. So you have to read through man 5 postconf for smtp_
> (smtp_tls_*) options.

That confirms my stupidity. By making the attempt it was revealed
I was heading down the wrong path. Thanks!

> > The server I'm running postfix on is CentOS 4 (fully updated).
> > Postfix version is 2.2.10-1.1.el4 (from rpm -qa). I have not had
> > sufficient downtime to upgrade to CentOS 5. Should I do that?
> >
> > Sincerely
>
> For what a howto when you can read the manpage for postconf? Even
> each smarthost can be configured with different musts, so there
> can't be a globally valid setup guide.
>
> Alexander

Because I'm stupid and it didn't click with me upon my first
attempt at getting it to work after reading other mailing lists
about what I was trying to accomplish. What you're saying makes
perfect sense to me though.

Long time no type. Happy to hear from you again!

--
Alex White
ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release