[CentOS] Recommended REPO Setup for Desktop on Cos5

John Thomas

gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com
Wed Jul 18 15:08:06 UTC 2007

CentOS is simply great.  I use it as my main desktop.  I use VMWare
clients for any "special needs" software.  I am struggling a bit with
the plethora of repos and looking for some advice.

Would you opine with detail on the best repo setup for a desktop CentOS 5?

Comments:  rpmforge provides fine rpms.  kbsingh, google, adobe,
kde-redhat, CentOS-Testing , CentOS-fastrack, epel, ATRPMs also provide
fine RPMs. epel seems to have some stuff that I have not found on the
others (like gnucash), but enabling epel worries me about conflicts with
rpmforge et al.  I recalling hearing about priorities and protectbase
yum plugins.  My thinking is someone has mastered these issues and I
could copy their setup so I could do a "yum search whatever" a "yum
provides whatever", "yum update", etc without having to enable/disable
repos or includepkgs/exclude packages in the repo (i.e., "just work").
I realize one size won't fit all, but your recommendations/thoughts are
appreciated.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas