[CentOS] yum through a squid proxy

Peter Farrell peter.d.farrell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:55:03 UTC 2007

What options? Did you change something from the default?
RE: "Adding the options to yum.conf isn't happy either"

Yum uses nothing. You just need to point it to the proxy.

Add a test user in squid.
$1 = username (test)
$2 = password  (test)
/usr/local/apache2/bin/htpasswd -b /etc/squid/passwd $1 $2

Turn off IPTABLES. On the Proxy server AND on your client server.
Run 'iptables -L -n' on both hosts and you should see empty chains.

export http_proxy=http://test:test@192.168.1.1:3128
echo $http_proxy
http://test:test@192.168.1.1:3128

yum check-update

What output do you get at this point?

Don't 'over think' your problem. Reduce them to their component parts.
SQUID is robust and easy. If it's up and running and it's log files
report no issues - then you can eliminate that from the list of
problems.  If you've got some odd-ball squid.conf, move it out of the
folder and revert back to the default file.
Also - can you plug in your proxy settings to a browser on your
network and get through? Does links/elinks/lynx work from the server
you're using yum on?

The environmental variable that allows 'yum' on different machines or
subnets 'see' the proxy is bulletproof. (I assume you're using a bash
shell)
If the firewall is down - again - cross that off the list. (I'm
assuming that you have connectivity from the proxy server itself as
well)

So - if it's still not working - tail the log file for squid on the
proxy (you may need to enable verbose logging) and tail the log file
for yum on the client. The answer is there somewhere.

-Peter

My yum.conf (centos 4.5)
---------------------------------
[root at altair local]# more /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
installonlypkgs=kernel kernel-smp kernel-devel kernel-smp-devel
kernel-largesmp kernel-largesmp-devel kernel-hugemem
kernel-hugemem-devel
distroverpkg=centos-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d