[CentOS] NFS filesystem recommendations please (and problems with XFS)

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Sun Jul 22 20:02:57 UTC 2007

On Saturday 21 July 2007, Patrick - South Valley Internet wrote:
> After googling around (and not finding out how to get XFS enabled in the
> kernel), people had some concerns about using XFS due to issues and it
> being about as fast as ext3.
>
> Also people said that I might run into issues with XFS if I run
> NFS+lvm+xfs+md but I'm not sure if I run lvm and md and if that applies
> to me.

Just a few random opinions/thoughts on the topic.

* more components (nfs, fs, lvm, ...) uses more stack space
* xfs eats stack this is why it's not really good on 32-bit (4K stack)
* performance diff vs. ext3 varies not only with work load but also with
hardware
* ext3 is much more widely used and wont cause you any head aches when a new
kernel arrives

/Peter