[CentOS] CentOS based router dropping connections

Jesse Cantara jesse_cantara at esupport.com
Tue Jul 24 21:27:15 UTC 2007

To reply to myself, I'm pulling my hair out about this one, here's some
more information:

I've simplified the problem into just simply wanting to download files
from the server at the hosting facility. No iptables, no port
forwarding, just download a file through apache directly from the
server. I was still getting errors even trying to do that from the Dell
860 server, which (among all the other things I tested and read about)
made me think it was that server (well, the driver on the server).

So yesterday, I built up a simple/cheap replacement server to stand in
while I fix this one, went to the hosting facility, pulled out the
"problem" server, and brought it back to the office. Everything seemed
to work fine with the replacement server, confirming my suspicions that
it was the TG3 driver... but only for a couple of hours. Now I'm right
back to square-one, dropping connections! The replacement server is
having the exact same problems! Arg!

The problem only seems to exhibit itself when the server is "busy"
(which is most of the time, so it's hard to diagnose). Right after I'd
replaced the "problem" server, the site stayed non-busy for a few hours,
and everything seemed to work just fine. Just FYI, it's a 10 Mbit drop
from the hosting facility, and during the daytime we're at around 100%
use from about 10AM to 8PM.

So basically, what I can figure from all of the evidence at this point
is the problem is either:
default configuration of the network in CentOS isn't proper for what I'm
doing (can't handle the traffic or number of connections). I get a
decent amount of traffic, maxing out a 10 Mbit connection all day long.
I don't know exactly where to check to diagnose if this is the case
though. Can anybody point me where to find things like the system usage
of the network (memory, any buffers, # of connections, etc)? the things
I know to check look normal, but that's basically just ifconfig, and
your standard /var/log/message and dmesg log files.
or:
the network drop from the hosting facility is "bad" somehow, either the
cable physically, or the way in which they are limiting me to 10 Mbit.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help, and any help in advance,
-Jesse