[CentOS] Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

beast beast at ldap.or.id
Thu Jul 26 09:39:07 UTC 2007

On 26/07/07 11:21 +0700, beast wrote:
>>CentOS 5.0 as the base, but OpenOffice repo, Firefox repo and
>>possibly Gnome or KDE repo to keep primary office applications
>>current.
>
>I'm confused here. Suppose in the next 3 year the latest OO version is
>3.1.1,
>today OO in Centos5 is 2.0.4, will it get updated to version 3.x or still
>using 2.x?

It seems not. Updates directory in Centos 3 still contains OOv1.1.2 only.
So, what is the meaning of "supported for 5 years"? is it only for bug and
security fixes, not features or enhancements?

Suppose in the next year, standard interface for harddisk is WATA (wireless ATA
:), will it be added in Centos5?

Sorry for asking such questions, i just reaaly want to know here :)

>or better just upgrade to Centos7 which has OOv3.1?

If I choose this path, can it be automatically done using yum with local
repository? what about existing data/settings/custom apps/etc? anyone has
real experiences on upgrading OS?

Personally, I never upgrade the OS. I simply install the fresh one, but its
fine on my laptop, not for my clients.

Thanks!

--beast