[CentOS] DVD Drive Recommendations

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Thu Jul 26 09:44:52 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
>> I've used an Optiarc to burn all that in Linux, some with cdrecord
>> some with NeroLinux. Optiarc is a joint NEC/Sony company. DVD
>> drives/burners are commodity these days with standard interfaces.
>
> not many support dvd-ram, however, which was buried in his list.

But the Optiarchs that supports Lightscribe also supports DVD-RAM. So
the NEC AD-5170 does not support DVD-RAM, but the NEC AD-7173 does.

My point was more that you just find a DVD-burner with the specs you
need and it should work. I have used Plextor, Sony, NEC and Optiarc over
the last year or so and I have not detected any functional differences
in use in linux, apart from the different feature sets and speeds.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.