[CentOS] Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Jul 26 09:47:26 UTC 2007

beast wrote:
> It seems not. Updates directory in Centos 3 still contains OOv1.1.2 only.
> So, what is the meaning of "supported for 5 years"? is it only for bug and
> security fixes, not features or enhancements?

Correct. And it is 7 years. Also there are some slight feature
enhancements during the first of those years. See the addition of Xen
(DomU support) in CentOS 4.5. Or openoffice2 in CentOS 4.5.

> Suppose in the next year, standard interface for harddisk is WATA (wireless
> ATA
> :), will it be added in Centos5?

Yes, probably. Maybe even in CentOS 4 - but you won't see it in CentOS
3.

> Sorry for asking such questions, i just reaaly want to know here :)

CentOS is an "enterprise level linux distribution". We chose stability
over newer versions.

An example: The httpd version in CentOS 4.0 was 2.0.52-9.ent.centos-4 -
now in 4.5 it is 2.0.52-32.3.ent. The version is still the same (after
more than two years), but several patches have flown into the package.
Most of those were security fixes.

This is to guarantee that Application Binary Interfaces (ABI) and
Application Programming Interfaces (API) never change during the life
cycle of a release - when your program works on CentOS 4.0, it will
*still* work on CentOS 4.12 (if that ever comes out). This is the only
way to guarantee updates without any surprises new versions might give
you.

Did that help?

Cheers,

Ralph