[CentOS] Thank you: Wiki data for adding 3rd party repository, ProtectBase and Priorities

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jul 26 20:31:40 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:

>     > Great minds think  alike.  I just sent a message suggesting the
>     same thing.
>     >
>     >     Also, I think I've found that if you really want to use the "plus"
>     >     repo it needs to be the same priority as "base" and "updates".
>     >
>     >
>     > That could be a problem.   Thanks.
>
>     Well ... actually, having plus lower is a good thing.  BUT, it requires
>     you to exclude the packages that exist in Base/Updates if you use the
>     Plus repo.
>
>     This is "A GOOD THING" though.  You can install anything in plus
>     that is
>     not a duplicate package in base/updates without a problem ... but you
>     can't accidentally install a package that is also in base/updates
>     without specifically excluding it.
>

> Hmm.  I'm not sure I understand the easiest way to see the correct
> solution,
> to these kinds of problemd.  It would be nice if there were a way to see
> what
> packages are available, but blocked by packages in higher priority repos, or
> missing dependencies.
>
> This reminds me of another related question but forgot to ask.
>
> Don't remember exactly which distribution I was running at the time.
> But I had problems with yum being unable to install certain packages,
> because issues with complex dependencies were too difficult for it.
> Someone suggested switching to the "smart" package manager,
> which was smart enough to downgrade certain packages to resolve
> dependency issues.  Have not seen signs of similar problems so
> far with yum on CentOS.  Has yum caught up with "smart", or
> are there still some issues here.

Well ... I think the problem that you speak of is that yum will ONLY
consider the newest package when calculating dependencies.

So, if foo-1.6.4 and foo-1.6.8 are there, it will not install foo-1.6.4
unless you specifically ask for it.  It will also try to update
foo-1.6.4 to foo-1.6.8 and fail if something requires 1.6.4.

I don't know that smart is "better", but it is different.  It can
install 1.6.4 as a dependency if needed ... but I don't think it has
priorities capability. Which is more important is up to you.  CentOS
provides yum and supports yum ... is designed to work with yum. Again,
it's your box, so try smart if you want ... but I use yum only.