[CentOS] EPEL Packages announcement

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jul 27 14:43:23 UTC 2007

redhat at mckerrs.net wrote:
> Just received a fedora email with the following announcement. Seems interesting;
>

> ===================================
>
> If you use enterprise-class Linux (EL) distributions derived from
> Fedora, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS, we have something
> very exciting for you.
>
> Ever find yourself rebuilding one of the high-quality Fedora packages
> for your EL version because it didn't ship with the EL distro?
>
> Friends, there is a new way.  May we introduce ...
>
>                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL)
>
> EPEL is a community of package maintainers working from inside of
> Fedora.  Many are the same people who maintain the Fedora version.  Yet,
> there room for new packages and contributors.  Currently, around 1000
> packages are available, and we've been growing at the rate of several
> dozen packages every week.
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> How to use EPEL:
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse
>
> You can look for packages here:
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#WhereIsTheSoftwareRepositoryLocated
>
> Looking for a package not in EPEL or other questions?
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ

Just to reiterate a post to the main EPEL list:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-July/msg00238.html

So, make SURE you are using the yum-priorities (yum-plugin-priorities in
CentOS-4) if you are using EPEL ... especially if you are using it with
other 3rd party repos/.  Here is info on Priorities:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities