[CentOS] Is installonly option needed?

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Jul 27 18:39:47 UTC 2007

Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      I made the mistake of updating a kernel once instead of
>  installing it. If one upgrades a kernel and there is a problem, one
> can't easily go back to the old one.  If one installs a new one, then
> one can quickly and easily go back to the old one as you have BOTH
> kernels available.  A quick reboot and one can select the working
> kernel.  I always install kernels now instead of updating them.

I understand the need to install rather than update kernels.  Yum does
this automatically for kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-bigmem,
kernel-enterprise, kernel-debug, and kernel-unsupported.

Wait...I had the files backwards.  The NEW version of the yum.conf has
the installonly line I was wondering about.  I thought it was something
that I might have done previously, but apparently it's a new default
setting in the yum package.  In that case, I'll just use the new one.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Bowie