[CentOS] CentOS 5 Issues Booting Under VMWare

hkclark at gmail.com

Tue Jun 5 12:19:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

VMWare has been a great tool for me to experiment with CentOS 3 and
CentOS 4.  However, I'm running into issues with CentOS 5.  First, it
is *extremely* slow to boot (as in it takes over an hour to boot
CentOS 5 on a machine that boots CentOS 3 & 4 in less than one
minute).  Then, after an hour of slowly watching the messages go by on
the console and the CPU of the host machine pegged at 100%, I get this
error:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
NOT_REACHED F(562):1742
A log file is available in ...

I have done a "minimal install" of CentOS 5 (all checkboxes in the
category/task selection screen are unchecked -- so to X-Windows
involved) and the virtual machine has 750MB of RAM.  I'm using VMWare
Workstation 4.5 and the host OS is Windows XP Pro.  I have not been
able to install the VMWare tool since I can't get it to finish
booting.

Has anyone else run into this?  I have seen some discussion on the
list about VMWare and CentOS 5, but nothing that seemed to match what
I'm running into.

Thanks,
Kennedy