[CentOS] CentOS 4.5 FTP install

Daniel de Kok danieldk at pobox.com
Tue Jun 5 21:32:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 23:16 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > Next, I went ahead and copied  stage2.img to product.img and tried
> > again.  The installation successfully continued.  I am now watching
> > the server log and see ftp download of rpm files happily taking
> > place...
> >
> > I must conclude that there is a glitch in the installer of CentOS4.5 CD#1.
>
> Can you file that on bugs.centos.org, please? Thank you.

Additional datapoints (I'll add this to the/a bug report):

- The relevant Anaconda is probably:

---
2006-11-10  Dave Lehman  <dlehman at redhat.com>

        improve handling of local (cdrom) stage2 with URL installs
(#189262)
        * loader2/urlinstall.c:
        grab product.img from the URL instead of hdlist and verify that
its
        stamp matches the initrd's
        * urlinstall.py:
        add systemMounted, systemUnmounted, filesDone methods to handle
the
        stage2 image so the cdrom can be ejected at the end of
installation
---

- As Akemi indicated, adding storage.img to the FTP server is a
  workaround for this problem.
- Even with product info in place, there seem to be to two errors in
  loader2/urlinstall.c:

  * The CD should be checked, rather than the FTP site (at least
    according to the comments)
  * There code path should be altered so that it doesn't loop on
    CD detection if it cannot be mounted.

-- Daniel